March is National Nutrition Month!
March is National Nutrition Month, a time to celebrate the importance of making informed food choices and developing healthy eating habits!
As a healthcare provider, PRAXES Medical Group strongly believes in the significance of good nutrition for overall health and well-being. This blog highlights National Nutrition Month, provides tips for healthy food choices, and introduces our new Wellness Program.
First and foremost, it’s essential to understand why nutrition is so vital. Good nutrition helps maintain a healthy weight, reduces the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and diabetes, and improves mental health. National Nutrition Month allows one to focus on healthy eating habits and take steps towards a healthier lifestyle. Here are some tips for making healthy food choices:
1. Make half your plate fruits and vegetables: Fruits and vegetables are packed with essential nutrients, fiber, and antioxidants. Aim for at least 5 servings a day and try to include a variety of colors.
2. Choose whole grains: Whole grains are rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Look for products that contain whole grains such as whole wheat, quinoa, and brown rice.
3. Reduce sodium intake: Excess sodium can increase blood pressure and increase the risk of heart disease. Choose low-sodium options or flavor your food with herbs and spices instead.
4. Limit added sugars: Added sugars can contribute to weight gain and other health problems. Try to limit sugary drinks and snacks and opt for fresh fruit or unsweetened beverages instead.
5. Stay hydrated: Drinking enough water is essential for overall health. Aim for 8-10 cups of water a day and limit sugary drinks like soda and sports drinks.
By following these tips and making healthy food choices, we can all improve our overall health and well-being.
PRAXES Medical Group’s Wellness Program is designed to provide comprehensive healthcare support and evidence-based education for seafarers.
Some of the key features of this program are the in-person interactive learning sessions that are facilitated by healthcare professionals, the adaptability of selecting health topics, and using a holistic lens for shift workers. These sessions cover specific health topics that are tailored to the needs of seafarers, such as mental health, health and nutrition, and physical health. These modules are designed to provide seafarers with the knowledge and skills to maintain their health and well-being while working on vessels.
In addition to the learning sessions and modules, the Seafarers Wellness Program provides appropriate resources and tools to individuals, groups, and employers to implement program recommendations. Person-centered strategies are provided to find the right balance of incorporating tasty nutritious food and reducing processed foods, but also allowing autonomy and access to familiar comfort food. Small adjustments to the nutritious food on board can be made through a one-on-one consultation between the cook and dietitian.
The program aims to provide person-centered resources for seafarers to learn more about how their bodies feel and work, how choices and actions affect their mental and physical health, and how they can implement small consistent changes to lead longer healthier lives. The holistic lens used focuses on benefitting seafarers, their families, and the companies they work for. PRAXES Medical Group is proud to offer this program and to support the health and safety of seafarers around the world.
Nutrition Month and Introductory to Seafarers Program Downloadable PDF
For more information on our Seafarers Wellness Program, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Article Opinion healthcare healthy food healthy lifestyle healthy living hydration marine mental health nutrition Nutrition Month physical health PRAXES Medical Group seafarers Wellness