Healthcare doesn’t have to end at the wharf.
Having the right medical kit and immediate access to experienced doctors for minor and serious medical events can significantly improve health outcomes for your crew. PRAXES 24/7 support helps to alleviate stress for skippers and crew and reduce the likelihood of a medical evacuation or vessel diversion.
PRAXES has been providing 24/7 remote medical advice since 1997. Our clients operate in many diverse and remote environments, and include the Canadian Coast Guard Arctic Fleet, commercial fishing fleets, scientific expeditions, marine vessels and installations serving the oil and gas sector, remote mining sites, and international yachting events.
How It Works
- Ensure your crew is prepared for common medical events with an up-to-date medical kit, tailored based on location, crew size and trip duration.
- Designated crew call the 24/7 telemedicine line using their satellite phone and are directly connected to our on-call doctor within minutes. Once connected the doctor has access to your vessel’s medical kit list, location details and any available crew health information.
- Crew can also interact with the doctor through secure messaging and share images (photos or short video clips) using narrow bandwidth via satellite, if available and required.
PRAXES doctors advise on managing illnesses or injuries on board, and assist in deciding if/when a medical evacuation or vessel diversion is required.
- Improved access to healthcare on board for crew
- Reduced stress for Captains making medical decisions
- Reduced vessel diversion costs (lost fishing time, fuel costs, wages, etc.).
“PRAXES helps us be innovators in health and safety by improving our ‘at sea’ medical support and reducing injury costs. With their technology, we have reduced expensive vessel diversions, significantly improved our ranking with WCB, and saved in excess of $500,000 annually”.
– Colin MacDonald, CEO, Clearwater Fine Foods Inc.
Remote Medical Staffing
PRAXES has been supplying remote medical staff for assignments in Canada and aboard for over 15 years. The PRAXES approach:
- We have a rigorous processes for hiring, screening and training our remote health staff.
- We serve highly specialized needs. Example – prisons
- We know the medical and legal requirements of different operating jurisdictions and are familiar with the liaison requirements of industrial boards etc
- We supply PRAXES proprietary methods and technologies (EMwerx) to support our staff and provide a higher level of response and efficacy as a result
- We supply the full range of services required
- Health professionals in all categories
- Standby medevac services to support staff
EMwerx has been in continuous use by emergency medical professionals since 2003. Today, key emergency response teams manage emergency incidents using EMwerx software, including the Nova Scotia Ground Search and Rescue Association, Newfoundland & Labrador Search and Rescue Association, Nunavut Emergency Management Organization, the Manitoba Office of the Fire Commissioner, and the Yukon Emergency Measures Organization.
Software for managing remote operations
If you are managing a remote medical facility, a remote search incident, or staff working in remote locations, EMwerx has an application. EMwerx was designed to meet the needs of remote work teams. It is an Internet-based solution that also operates as a stand-alone tool without Internet connection.
EMwerx is a remote incident management software, primarily:
- Used to capture information in real-time, and synchronize securely with a central database once an internet connection is available.
- Built for emergency doctors as a tactical emergency response tool
- Designed to manage people, assets and emergency events, in real-time in the field
EMwerx is built on the Incident Command System (ICS) methodology.
Medical Kits & Supplies
On-site emergency preparedness
PRAXES provides medical kits and supplies customized to your specific needs and industry.
We have trusted suppliers and current knowledge of the regulations that affect your organization and its operating environment. We have a full time procurement team dedicated to finding the most appropriate medical solutions for your business.
We’ll help you:
- Buy only medications and supplies that you really need in your operating environment
- Make inventories consistent
- Reduce the need for costly medical transports offsite
- Reduce occurence of WCB claims and rising premium costs
On-site Medical Clinics
The right medical care for your remote operations
As a leader in the design and delivery of remote medical services, PRAXES provides clients with advice about the level of medical care required at their remote site.
We provide a complete solution – from design of the on-site clinic, through to procurement and set up, to staffing and operation.
- All the necessary medical equipment, medications and supplies, on a purchase or rental basis, at First Aid, Basic Life Support or Advanced Life Support levels
- The required level of on-site medical staff – we manage the hiring and HR issues
- Telemedicine support (EMdoc)
- Written medical directives to support the medical staff
- Occupational physician support for on-site staff (OHdoc)
- Medical oversight and chart review
- Software to run the clinic (EMwerx)
Our operational methods help you:
- Save money:
- You only buy the medications and supplies that you really need in your operating environment
- Your inventories are consistent at every clinic site
- Reduce the need for costly medical transports off site
- Reduce occurrence of WCB claims and rising premium costs
24/7 Global Telemedicine
Sometimes you can’t call 911 – call PRAXES
“Partnering with PRAXES ensures our medics in remote locations across Canada – both onshore and offshore – have immediate 24/7 access to world-class medical advice in emergency situations”.
– President, Frontier Medex
A unique healthcare model
Our remote healthcare delivery model is designed to do three things:
- Improve employee health
- Reduce risks – both financial and operational
- Save money by dealing with medical incidents immediately
PRAXES Telemedicine is the only service that:
- Has one global call number
- Guarantees caller has emergency physician on line in under 5 minutes, anywhere.
- Bilingual services (French/English) as well as translation for other languages
- Records every call
- Establishes a medical record for every call
- Assesses skills of the caller/medic on every call
- Auto-faxes information to referral clinic or hospital as appropriate
- Sends incident alert to the client if desired